Sunday, September 16, 2012

A is for August… and ATTITUDE!

August has been FULL of changes for the Smothers family.    The biggest change to note is Justin’s new job as Assistant Golf Pro at the Valdosta Country Club!    This is something that we have talked about for years but timing, or the situation just wasn’t right… and really, the job was not available.  This happened by chance and we couldn’t be more grateful.  He is LOVING his new position and is looking forward to taking the Playing Ability Test in October and starting the certification program at the first of the year.  I have to say, even though I am glad that we are working in separate career fields now and both have something NEW to bring to the table each evening, I am still not used to seeing him around the office!  Or used to his new schedule!!!
For Caroline, August was a month full of attachment and tantrums.  She went through (and is still going through to some degree) a short period of only letting Mommy and Daddy hold her.  Outside of our home, if one of us was around she had to be in our arms.  We went to a party for her class at Brookfield Academy.  The minute we walked in the room she was attached to my leg and didn’t want any of the other kids to come near me.  I literally had to sit on the floor and hold her in my lap so that she could eat her pizza.   
When I brought up her frequent temper tantrums to her teachers they told me that she was having them DAILY (DAILY?!?) in her class.  We had NO IDEA!  Of course, everyone laughs about it because they are pretty funny and she is so cute, but still… It’s a little out of hand.   And we were told that she HIT HER TEACHER.  Their cups were sitting on the counter and Caroline said “Jui, jui” (for juice).  The teacher told C that the cups were dirty and she would have juice in a minute.  Caroline reached back and smacked her in the calf!  She does not hit and is punished at home if she tries.  This is so frustrating to us.  We think it is due to her not being able to fully communicate what she wants or needs, and it is not ok.  When she starts getting frustrated we try to help her name her feelings, then ask her to use her words to explain why she is upset. 
At bedtime we have been letting her “cry it out” for the past month when we put her down.  Some nights it’s just sniffles and others she cries for twenty minutes.  I come back in after five minutes, say goodnight and rub her hair.  Then, if she is still crying I come back after ten minutes, and so on until she is asleep.  One night she was so mad about going to bed that she decided she wasn’t going to go to sleep!  It got quiet after a few minutes and we checked the monitor – she was sitting up with her head bent down.  We’d never seen this before, so we went in to check on her.  Sure enough, she was asleep sitting up!  Hilarious!  Love, love, love this child!

New words:
  • Eagle – she says this loud and clear every five minutes.  (Thank you Mamark and PopPop for the fun book with an eagle!)
  • Cheers – at night with her sippy cup
  • I don't know!
  • "Bob-Oh" - pillow
  • “I have a ball” – this surprised us!  I don’t know why, because she LOVES to talk, but she came running up to Justin and I with a ball and just said it.  We were so excited!
  • Bye Bye everything… and sometimes it means good night.  I also believe it means that she is finished with something.  For instance, we were eating our “dessert” – Greek yogurt with mangos – and she said “bye bye may-go.” 
  • And she can pick out every single letter of the alphabet! 
  • ALL DONE!  - Whenever she is finished with dinner she says this and throws her hands in the air.  Before she was talking we taught her to put her hands up when she was finished eating – it is precious to see her do this!

Fun stuff that Caroline loves:
  • Smiling with her teeth
  • Eskimo kisses
  • Monkey see monkey do – bobbing her head up and down (Thanks PopPop!)
  • Shadows – with her hand behind a lampshade (Thanks Mamark!)
  • Climbing
  • Her book about animal eyes (Eagle!)
  • Her FisherPrice Laugh and Learn Home
  • Happy Feet!  She has been doing this for months, but when she gets excited, or when she is dancing, she has Happy Feet.  I will find a video!

Love!


sleeping sitting up



sitting on her ball - she likes to balance

Laura, you remember "Butts Up!"


Pig tails!




Smile with your teeth!

I don't know!






Bob-Oh!








No comments:

Post a Comment